Measurement of the shadowing by vegetation in urban areas using a 9m long remote controlled airship.. The proposed work is based on previous trials with a remote control airship conducted by the research team within the COST 297 project. It was proven that the remote control airship is very suitable for experimental propagation studies for HAPs/satellite communications in the L and S bands. New narrowband generators to cover L, S, and C bands will be utilized to experimentally investigate the shadowing by vegetation of different type and under different conditions. Very extensive measurement campaign is planned to study various scenarios addressing the influence of the surroundings and geometry and other phenomena, like antennas, polarization etc.
- Propagation Modeling of Shadowing by Vegetation for Mobile Satcom & Satnav Systems, Czech Ministry of Education, Youth and Sports, grant no. OC09074, 2009-2012
- COST Action IC0802, Propagation tools and data for integrated Telecommunication, Navigation and Earth Observation systems, 2008-2012.
- Horak, P. – Pechac, P.: Seasonal Additional Attenuation in Woodlands for Satellite Services at L-, S- and C-Bands, IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation. 2011, vol. 59, no. 12, p. 4865-4867. ISSN 0018-926X.
- Horak, P. – Kvicera, M. – Pechac, P.: Frequency Dependence of Attenuation Due to Vegetation for Satellite Services. IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters. 2010, vol. 9, p. 142-145. ISSN 1536-1225.
- Horak, P. – Kvicera, M. – Simunek, M. – Korinek, T. – Zela, J. – Pechac, P.: Vegetation Attenuation Measurements at 2 GHz using a Remote-Controlled Airship – Initial Results. In Proceedings of the 4th European Conference on Antennas and Propagation. Barcelona, 2010. ISBN 978-84-7653-468-7.