The building penetration loss is one of the key factors in planning future satellite-to-indoor/HAP-to-indoor communication links. An extensive measurement campaign, covering a representative set of typical buildings in an urban area and aimed at building penetration loss for high elevation angles at L-, S- and C-band, was performed in Prague in 2009. Throughout the measurements, a remote-controlled airship was used as a pseudo-satellite carrying a transmitter which provided unmodulated continuous wave left-handed circularly polarized signals at 2.0 GHz, 3.5 GHz, 5.0 GHz, and 6.5 GHz. Based on a thorough analysis of the resulting experimental data new elevation dependent empirical models were introduced at corresponding frequencies.
- Building Penetration Measurement and Modelling for Satellite Communications at L, S and C-Band, ESA PECS project No. 98069, 2009-2010
- COST Action IC0802, Propagation tools and data for integrated Telecommunication, Navigation and Earth Observation systems, 2008-2012.
- HAPCOS – COST Action 297, High Altitude Platforms for Communications and Other Services, 2005-2009
- Advanced Communication Systems and Radiowave Propagation Modelling for High Altitude Platforms, Czech Ministry of Education, Youth and Sports, grant no. OC 092, 2006-2009
- Kvicera, M. – Pechac, P.: Building Penetration Loss for Satellite Services at L-, S- and C-band: Measurement and Modeling, IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation. 2011, vol. 59, no. 8, p. 3013-3021. ISSN 0018-926X.
- Kvicera, M. – Horak, P. – Pechac, P. – Perez-Fontan, F.: On a Definition of Building Penetration Loss for High Elevation Angles, IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation. 2010, vol. 58, no. 12, p. 4115-4118. ISSN 0018-926X.
- Kvicera, M. – Horak, P. – Korinek, T. – Zela, J. – Simunek, M. – Pechac, P.: Building Penetration Loss Measurements for Satellite-to-Indoor Systems: Preliminary Results. In Proceedings of the 4th European Conference on Antennas and Propagation. Barcelona, 2010. ISBN 978-84-7653-468-7.
- Holis, J. – Pechac, P.: Penetration Loss Measurement and Modeling for HAP Mobile Systems in Urban Environment. EURASIP Journal on Wireless Communications and Networking, vol. 2008, Article ID 543290, 7 pages, 2008. doi:10.1155/2008/543290.
- Holis, J. – Pechac, P.: Measurement of Building Penetration Loss as a Function of the Elevation Angle and Floor Level. In EuCAP 2009 – 3rd European Conference on Antennas and Propagation [CD-ROM]. Berlin: VDE Verlag, 2009, p. 3586-3590. ISBN 978-3-8007-3152-7.